Tuesday, June 28, 2011

25th June

Throughout the night the rain came bucketing down, so I was pretty hbappy with my decision to rough it in a 3.5 star motel.  The morning was pretty nice though, so continued up to Geraldton.  On the way up, I was wondering if the windy I encountered was a one off or not.  I started coming across these trees that were 'leaning'.  Check this one..


Guess they get a bit of wind up this way afterall.

Cruised into Geraldton - not much to see really.  Had a snooze on the foreshore in the sun.  When I was at the visitor centre, I noticed that Steep Point is less than 400 kms from Geraldton.  Steep Point is the westernmost point of the Australian mainland on the Shark Bay World Heritage park.  I thought seeing as I was in the neighbourhood that I'd better check it out.  It started to rain and get a bit cooler - thought I was going to have to motel it again, but it started to clear.  I pulled over to the Overlander roadhouse to get kitted up and to get something warm.  $4 for an instant coffee and I had to make it myself!  The humanity!.. Mind you, I would've paid $10 but that stage.
By the time I got to Nanga I'd had enough so turned into the "Resort".  Woah, do they throw that word around with a bucket load of abandon.  The place is about an inch away from being declared decrepit.  Given I wasn't going any further, I paid the $25 for the camp site.  It was a gravelly patch, but had a pretty nice view.


It was about time I used the tent - I'd only carried it half way around the country and it hadn't seen daylight yet.  The ride up here was pretty nice - boring, but peaceful, especially compared to yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment