Friday, June 3, 2011

Quick update

When I picked the bike up after being serviced, I met the guy leading the tour that Gav and I will be doing.  He wasn't that keen on the rear tyre I've had fitted (Mitas E-09 Dakar) as he's not sure it will make the distance!  I couldn't find another 17" rear in Proserpine or Cannonvale, so he's going to throw an old tyre on the backup vehicle "just in case".  Hopefully it will make it - fingers crossed.


While I was there he also confirmed that the Simpson is still closed due to the flooding that Qld has experienced for the past 5-6 months.  It's a real bummer as it was sure to be one of the highlights, but I guess the weather is one thing he can't control.  We should still be right to get to Birdsville and will get to have a crack at Big Red.  It also means an extra 450 km detour around the desert.


I guess it means that I'll have to do the Simpson some other time.  It's on the bucket list now, so it'll have to be ticked off sometime.  If that also means that I'll have to come back to Airlie Beach, well, I guess I'll have to do that too.  This place is fantastic - I'm sure anyone else who has been here would agree.  I need to come back just to have a crack at some jet skiing, kayaking, etc etc.


Oh well, I think a hear a beer calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment