Wednesday, June 29, 2011

28th June - Rain.. ugh

Throughout the night, my tent felt like it was going to be blown away. There was obviously a change coming through, so I couldn't expect the nice weather of yesterday to be repeated.  Sure enough, it was grey and overcast in the morning.  I packed up pretty early and hit the road by 7 am.

I just wanted to get back to Perth to get a new tyre - although I don't really need it.  This tyre just won't die.  It's done over 8500 kms, the last 800 or more on tar and it's still got some life in it.  I will change it just so that I have one less thing to worry about.  I'll be putting the same on again.

About half an hour after having an early (9 am) smoko at Mingenew, it started to look rain.  Sure enough, it started to belt down.  Well, I'm wet now, so might as well keep going.  I would've been a lot drier if I had've zipped a zip instead of being a lasy bastard.  Result - one very, very wet arse.  Oh well.  Have you any idea how much water a 3 trailer road train throws up from a wet road?  I reckon it's enough to fill the Charlton swimming pool.  It's like hitting a wall of water.  Not much fun.

I'd decided to find a motel as soon as I could so that I could get me and my gear dry.  That took longer than I thought.  Somehow I ended up near the Perth airport, so gave those hotels a miss as they were either going to be too pricey, or too noisy (being on a main road).  I saw a sign for Freo and thought, well, I like the place, and I know a pub to stay at.  Sounds like a plan.  In fact, I'm going to stay 2 nights as I can't be bothered rushing around to get everything dry.  Well, that and I really like the pubs around here :)

No pics - I may be dumb enough to ride in the rain for 3 hours, but I'm not dumb enough to stop and take a picture of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment