Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Madura to Nullarbor - Sat 9th July

Today I was going to head for the Old Coach Road and the Old Eyre Highway - they both basically parallel the existing Eyre Hwy.  The Old Coach Road started off as a rock based gravel road, but soon became twin track through long wet grass.  Later it became much clearer and it felt like I was passing through station country - I started seeing cattle and horses.  I picked up a bit of fencing wire in my rear wheel.  I was pretty lucky in that the only reason I stopped was that  I heard a 'pop' noise which I thought was a blow out.  It had only wrapped around a half dozen times or so, so was easy to remove.
On exiting this country I passed a sign on the other side of the road saying not to enter this area without permission - oh well.
I had lunch in Eucla as I wanted to check out the Eucla Telegraph station which has been overun by sand dunes.  After lunch, I was trying to fill my Camelbak, but managed to tip over the bike.  Pretty embarrassing doing this in the carpark - but the worst thing was that I had left my helmet on the right side of the handlebar - which side did the bike fall over on?  Yep, the right side.  My precious helmet was surely toast.  Yep.  Nice big puncture mark in the foam on the inside and the visor is a bit messed up.  Nothing for it but to tape it up so it doesn' tl eak through the broken vent.  I'l have to get a new one in Adelaide I guess - it's not the best feeling riding around with a smashed helmet - but I don't have much choice out here really.
I was feeling pretty pissed off with myself right now, but still headed down to have a squiz at the telegraph station for a few photo's.  The story goes that the rabbits got out of control and ate most of the vegetation on the dunes.  As a result the dunes had nothing to stabilise them and they moved - all the way through the station.
Later on I started on the Old Eyre Highway which is another rocky based gravel road that I could easily imagine as an old highway that wasn't sealed.  Along the way I visited the Koonalda ruins which is an old building made from Railway sleepers, along with a couple of dozen wrecked cars.  It used to be a service station of sorts when the Old highway was in operation.
About 80kms from Nullarbor the sun is beginning to set.  The sky is unreal - there is just so much of it with nothing to interrupt the view - and yes, there is a view, even though there's a butt load of nothing out here.  It's hard to explain how cool it is.  I arrived at the Nullarbor roadhouse just on sunset.

DR in the long grass


Tangled

Big sky country

Ouch

Eucla Telegraph Station


Old Eyre Highway

Koonalda

Old Eyre Highway

Sunset at Nullarbor Roadhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment