Monday, July 18, 2011

Nullarbor to Ceduna - Sun 10th July

Continued along the Old Eyre Highway for a bit before heading north towards Watson which is a siding on the Trans Australian Railway Line.  The track that headed north started off pretty nice, but soon became very rocky with a lot of exposed limestone rock.  The rock slowed me down quite a bit as it was, at times, deceiving as to how sharp the edges were.  Sometimes I could hit everything at 80km/h with no worries, then the next one felt like I'd hit a 4" high ledge.  I can't believe I got through without a pinch flat.  Once again, you've got to love ultra heavy duty tubes - worth their weight in gold.  It probably didn't hurt that I was running fairly high pressures as well - I think about 22-24 psi in front and 25-27 in the rear.
When I was at the Nullarbor roadhouse, there was an ad for flights over the bight and "the real Nullarbor".  I think I now know what that was about, as after 20 or 30 kms, there was not a single tree to be found anywhere, just 6-10 inch high bushes as far as the eye can see.  The land was flat as a tack.  After 80 k's or so of this track, I arrived at Watson - nothing to see here other than a sign saying Watson.  There must have been buildings here at one stage as my GPS reckoned there were ruins here - nothing but a couple of flat concrete foundations indicated that buildings were here.  I was going to continue heading north before heading south to Ooldea but I saw a sign saying I'd be fined if I entered without permission as it was private Aboriginal Lands.  It was also getting close to Maralinga, so I though it wasn't the best place to be anyway :).  I travelled about 30 kms along the TAA (Trans Australia Access Road) which is also another road that you're not supposed to go along as there's no permission given for this part of the TAA anymore and is now a 'private road'.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I made the easy decision to head along the TAA and then turn south once I got to Ooldea.  I wanted to go to Ooldea to check out a monument for the joining of the easy and west sections of the railway.  By the time I got to Ooldea I had forgotten about the monument until I was about 40 kms down the road towards Yalata.  I couldn't be bothered turning back and continued down what was pretty much the equivalent of a highway on dirt.
I expected to get fuel at the Yalata roadhouse, but it was still being built/renovated!  Just as well I've got a big tank I guess, otherwise I would've had to head back to Nullarbor to refuel.  Instead of doing 90 odd kms on the highway, I'd done 340 or something like that.
I headed towards Ceduna which was 200 odd kms on the bitumen.  Nothing really to report here, other than Ceduna is a pretty town, but it must have a few problems.  There's a lot of signs stating "Public consumption of alcohol is prohibited" and "No camping other than at campgrounds".  The motel I'm staying at has 7' steel fence surrounding it and the caravan park next door has an 8-10' chain link fence with barbed wire.


The 'real' Nullarbor

Watson - nothing to see here folks

Longest stretch of straight railway (in the world I think?)

No comments:

Post a Comment